Monday, March 31, 2014

Mixed Media Monday - Vintage Hodge Podge Canvas


Hi Paper Wings fans! Dana here today sharing a canvas that I created with the March Nesting Components Mixed Media Kit. This kit contains one of my favorite Clip Art Sheets and a fun mix of embellishments that are perfect for building up textured layers. The Pearlescent Watercolor Paint Set was really fun to work with! My canvas has a fantastic shimmer that really catches the light.


This canvas came together using basic techniques. I was inspired to create this canvas in a style similar to the great Anna Dabrowska.


I started by gluing paper, tag pieces and washi tape from the kit randomly to my canvas. (Don't think too much about placement during this process!) I added a piece of lace from my stash and a couple of pieces of Gold Foil Border (a NEW item from the Store).


I then glued down larger and more textured embellishments like flowers, leaves, a burlap tag, chipboard pieces (past kit), wood buttons (past kit), rhinestones (past kit), metal pieces (personal stash) and a light bulb (personal stash).


To neutralize my palette I covered the canvas with a coat of gesso.


Next, I added my clip art image and more flowers, a metal crown, an enameled tag, chipboard (past kit), sequins (personal stash), and beads (personal stash). I covered the the new embellishments with a layer of gesso, being careful not to cover up the clip art image.


Once the gesso was dry I painted the canvas with the Pearlescent Watercolor Paint Set from the kit.


I added rub-ons from past kits to the enameled tag and the clip art image.



I stamped the wooden buttons with the Crowns Clear Stamp Set and added a gorgeous Hand Dyed Ribbon bow.


I finished the canvas by wrapping the edge with the gorgeous butterfly print canvas ribbon from the kit.

Thanks so much for stopping by today! The March Nesting Component Mixed Media Kit is available from the Paper Wings Productions Store while supplies last. If you're looking for some more Vintage Hodge Podge inspiration, Erica shared a beautiful tag that she created with the March Kit earlier this month. Follow THIS LINK to view her post. You can find more information about the March Kit HERE.

We have some exciting things happening later this week. Be sure to stop by again for the April Kit Release, the April Challenge Reveal and the April Blog Hop!



8 comments:

  1. very lovely canvas Dana!! thanks for the step by step pics !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful project! canvas are on my to do list, thanks for step by step tutorial, very useful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty, love the colors and the ribbon around the edges is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow wow wow! This is stunning! LOVING the colors and the flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous Canvas Dana, going to give it a try...love the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning canvas Dana I really love all the texture and depth you created!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Dana, what a gorgeous canvas with lots of texture and elements beautifully set on it!!!! Great tutorial also, I love seeing your process of creation, TFS! :)

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate and treasure each and every comment. You make our day by taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Have an uplifting day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...