Monday, October 7, 2013

Mixed Media Monday - Art Journal Cover



Hi, Cathi here with a mixed media art journal page/cover. I only started papercrafting in 2011, and at the start of my journey all I had was my brand new Silhouette cutter, some plain cardstock and my kid's glue stick. I have come a long way! My scrap studio is now crammed with paper, mediums and inks, and I just love it.

For a long time my style was simple and vintage shabby chic. I have been adding more and more mixed media, stamping, and color into my work and I finally decided I wanted to give art journaling a go. I believe last year I swore I'd never get into art journaling my style was just too different! Never say never!!

I am a bit intimidated by the gorgeous artists pages I see, so have been a bit afraid to let go and give it a go. I really loved this stamped saying I got from the Brave Girls Cling Stamp Set: "She took a leap and built her wings on the way down" I decided to build my journal cover around that saying.

I first started my cover with a layer of gesso. I then sprayed it with Lindy's Stamp gang sprays in Red Hot Poker Orange and Witch's Potion Purple. I then started layering many stamps!



Here you can see where I used the Eiffel Tower (from the Royal Melange Cling Stamp Set) and Greek Temple (Architecture Melange 5 Cling Stamp Set) and the clock stamp (Worldly Women Melange 2 Cling Mounted Stamp Set). I also used rub ons and a mask here from several different kits (May, July and August Nesting Component Kits). I also used the Pink Paislee Luxe Chipboard Circles from the July Nesting Components Kit and the Bird Charm from the June Nesting Components Kit!! I used the inspirational saying love the journey near my  foreign monuments stamps...reminding me to enjoy whereever this papercraft and art journaling journey take me, both artistically and geographically!!


I chose the adorable girl image from the Spring Flowers Clip Art Sheet and I embossed some butterfly wings from the Wings Cling Stamp Set in Ranger Fine Detail Embossing Powder in black, coloring the wings with Spiced Marmelade Distress Inks.  I built her wings for her!

I used some script stamping from the Text Melange Cling Stamp Set, and also used the image of another winged creature, a new fairy stamp from the Fairies clear stamp set from the store, check out these beautiful designs!!

I used a lot of positive and inspirational quotes from the Tim Holtz rubons to encourage me to keep going and give it a good try! I love layering my stamps, adding gesso and color to build up layers. I think this journey will be fun!!

One of my artist heroes is fellow DT member Norma Gomez, check out her amazing ATC set she did for Dia de los Muertos here. Irit did a gorgeous and adorable layout of her grandson here, using Paper Wings Stamps to perfection.  And since it is a new month here at Paper Wings Productions, Carrie outdid herself and made TWO KITS for October:



Hope you come check them out!! As you can see from my journal cover, the kits are full of goodies with plenty left over for future projects! Thanks so much for stopping by today!!




5 comments:

  1. Awesome creation !! really love the image and the textures !!
    http://www.kalasirjana.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous cover, love all the layered background stamping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Carrie said, fantastic post, Cathi! I loved hearing about your papercrafting beginnings and seeing your beautifully layered art journal cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Cathi and I love your mixed media journal cover!! Beautifully done my friend :D

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate and treasure each and every comment. You make our day by taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Have an uplifting day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...