Monday, July 29, 2013

I Must Be A Mermaid - Mixed Media Monday

Hello PWP Peeps, Norma here with you today for Mixed Media Monday!!


I thought I'd have a little more fun with this month's Nesting Components kit so I created this gorgeous (if I do say so myself, lol) canvas.


To create this 9x12 canvas, I used a sheet of palette paper, the July Nesting Components kit, Sea Melange stamp set, fabric remnants and the newly released Be Not Afraid stamp set.


The Sea Melange set can also be purchased in smaller sets just like the Seaside stamp set that is included in the July Nesting Components kit.  These sets can easily be found on the new website by simply shopping by theme and clicking on Oceans and Mermaids.


I started out by adhering this beautifully stained sheet of palette paper.  This page is just layers and layers of paint, inks and Pearl-Ex from various projects.  So don't throw those sheets away, they can be used in your next masterpiece and half of the work has already been done for you.  I glued it down using Golden Heavy Duty Matte Medium.  You could you regular matte medium, modge podge or your favorite adhesive.  Next I applied a light layer of modge podge on top to seal in all those beautiful colors.  


I randomly stamped some fish and a mermaid to the background for even more texture and background interest.

    

I'm all about upcycling materials so when I was ready to begin layering, I grabbed my scrap bin and found more produce netting.  Next I used a linen napkin that I picked up at an estate sale and stamped the sentiment from the Sea Cling Stamp set.  The quote says:  
She stood in the storm and when the wind did not blow her away, she adjusted her sails.
Then on top of that went the Luxe Circles from the July kit.


I used the the beautiful little girl from the July kit's clip art sheet and matted the image with cream colored burlap.  I also inked the edges of the clip art with Tim Holtz Vintage Photo distress ink.


Since you can never have too much texture, I used a torn piece of muslin for the sentiment.  This wonderful sentiment is part of the newly released stamps.  It says:
I must be a mermaid, I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.
Great sentiment right?!


I rubbed some of the rubons from the July kit here and there.


Then to finish things off, I added some of the gorgeous hand dyed trim, some more burlap and a couple of Recollections roses.

THANKS so much for joining me today, I hope I've inspired you to upcycle some items that you might not have not thought of using in your projects before.  

HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY & HAPPY CREATING!!

14 comments:

  1. Stunning piece Norma! I LOVE your background and all the different textiles you incorporated! The stamped fabric is gorgeous! Thanks for the inspiration! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last project I created with this sheet was the ZZ My Favorite Things mermaid piece so it had all of the perfect colors on it :D

      Delete
  2. Norma, this is so gorgeous! Beautiful colors, and I love the linen napkin and fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!! That background is luscious and just love the canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mixed media is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GORGEOUS!! I LOVE that background!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely amazingly gorgeous!! The background is stunning!! Love, love it, Norma!!

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous, loving that background and the colors are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous colours of that background, beautiful composition! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another beauty, Norma! I love the colors so much and dimension!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this piece so inspires me! I love to see how you put your beautiful creations together!
    I've got to remember to layer layer layer!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this piece so inspires me! I love to see how you put your beautiful creations together!
    I've got to remember to layer layer layer!!!!

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate and treasure each and every comment. You make our day by taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Have an uplifting day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...